Sunday, November 17, 2013

If I knew then what I know now...

For those of you who are looking to build your own home, here are a few things I would have done differently had I known then what I know now...



Before
After










1. Take more time evaluating the options for everything. From countertops to flooring, to options on rooms, fireplaces, etc. I would have visited more homes built by our builder as well as others to get more ideas about the various options available and made a few, minor, changes to my decisions.

2. If you are on a well and septic system and responsible for install I would plan for installation much earlier. Our lack of earlier planning probably delayed completion by a couple of weeks. Totally our own fault, but we just didn't know everything there was to know.

3. Evaluate all your options for hardscape, steps and decks. Fortunately our initial concrete contractor was delayed in providing concrete and we went with a different supplier. I say fortunately because had he been on schedule we would not have ended up with the great front porch deck and steps. I am so much happier with the decking than I would have been with more concrete. I can't wait to enjoy a glass of wine or fresh cup of coffee on the front porch and just listen to the nature that surrounds us.

4. Financial planning - fortunately a few people I talked to before starting the process said to plan for about $20,000 more than all the bids and estimates. This was great advise and allowed for greater peace of mind as we came into the homestretch and made some changes that we couldn't have done otherwise.

5. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Keep the lines of communication open with the builder and all other contractors on your project. Stay on top of everything and return calls promptly.

6. Probably the greatest piece of advise I can give is to find local suppliers/contractors for your "owner-to-do's". We had an awesome excavator who did our excavation, roadway to the driveway, cleared the majority of our five acres and completed the DEQ and septic system. He was a tremendous resource and was on top of every aspect of our project.

7. ENJOY! Get through the building process and enjoy your new home. I know we will!

Stay tuned for future additions to my blog. As we look to add a shop/barn and start working on our landscaping and gardens. More to come...

4 comments:

  1. Wondering how your overall experience with Adair was... We're considering building with them, but a few contractors we know have totally made us cautious.... that they're going to cut corners and use subpar materials and such. I understand, they're competition, but it really does seem a little too good to be true... Anything you weren't happy with??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jani - we had a good experience with Adair. I thought it might be too good to be true as well, but overall I am glad we used them and would use them again. We asked a lot of questions about materials and the sub-contractors. We were also at the property several times a week to stay on top of things. Now that we have been in the home for a few months, there are a few little things that we have noticed - door jams not perfectly aligned (maybe off by a half inch at the most) and a cupboard that wasn't centered properly. Really minor and had we taken more time at the final inspection we would have caught them - I think. We were more on top of the permit process than the builder, but we were only 15 minutes from the site and the county offices, while Adair's office was 80 miles away and our site manager wasn't on the property as often as we were. Be prepared to visit the site as often as possible and meet with the sub-contractors. I believe that when they know who they are building for, they do better work. I would take the time to visit any open houses they have and jump on your owner-to-do list as soon as you can. I would recommend this with any builder you choose. Good luck on your home-building adventure!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I am wondering if you are still as satisfied with your home and experience. We are seriously considering a build with Adair, but are having a hard time finding reviews of people who have lived in their homes for awhile and am wanting to make sure you are still as satisfied with the quality, etc. If you have any other feedback or advice I would love to hear it. Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been in the house nearly a year and are very happy with it, for the most part. There are a few little things that we missed during final inspection, but they are minor. A cupboard isn't centered, a few drawers that don't work properly, some finishing touches that are slightly less than perfect. The lower windows at the front of the house were hung upside down (grids didn't align), but were replaced by the supplier. Overall, a good experience and happy with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete